Stop Us Not
we are soldiers we have ... a couple of great covers.
Some months ago, we are soldiers we have guns released a great 7” consisting of two covers - Cat Stevens’ “Wild World” and Marvin Gaye’s “Wherever I lay my hat (that’s my home)”. Malin Dahlberg, the singer of waswhg, says she recorded the songs “because I wanted for once to be the girl who tells her little boy about the wild world out there, and the gal who is always on the roam. Most of the time, in popular music, only men get to roam and teach”.

She’s definitely got a point about the lack of a healthy balance in the lyrics of pop music , but furthermore, the songs on the 7” are very impressive just as song. Being a fan of both of the originals, I really like the sparse arrangements that makes Malin’s vocals the focal point of the songs. It’s pleasantly subversive without being preachy or pretentious.

You can order the 7” from Lavender Recordings.

we are soldiers we have guns - Wherever I lay my hat (that's my home)

/S

Labels:

By Stop Us Not
On 1 November 2007
At 4:58 pm
Previous Posts
Archives
Links
Cornify